This is the topic we are talking about tonight in one of courses. First, what does this mean? Well that depends who you are talking to. I have it broken down into 2 parts – tools and process. Some people are referring to quick development tools and some are referring to a modified process and some are referring to both.
Tools: There are many many tools but here are the most basic and common:
–To teach software
–Anything but software (as I would use captivate)
- HTML (web)
–Simple for computer, tablet, phone
–Advanced for computer, tablet, phone
–Simple, limited interaction, external testing
- How do you cut the ISD process?
–Process is ADDIE
- Cannot cut a step out of ADDIE
How do you change the ISD process?
- First – you cannot replace ADDIE
- Second – you cannot replace ADDIE
- Third – There is no ‘defined’ way to do ADDIE
- ADDIE describes a generic process that should be modified for every single project/client. If you believe ADDIE is only linear or there is one official way of doing it then you learned it wrong and probably have been doing it wrong all along
- For rapid elearning you are going to create a short design/development cycle to push out your products faster.
–Keep in mind this usually means less interaction, lower quality graphics/interaction, etc.
Are there already modified processes out there?
- Yes, There are 1000s. The right one is the one that works for your project.
- One of the most popular is AGILE.
- Another one is SAM
- Both of these describe how to do design and development. They do not replace ADDIE. And these are two of a 1000 different ways to do it. In fact, I would never use any standard process but create one that works best for my current project and situation.
How do you do this?
- In general, you can ONLY modify the Design, Development, and Implementation stages of ADDIE. Modifying Analysis is setting you up for failure.
- 1. Analysis should be completed – without a proper analysis the project will fail. 70% of projects fail and poor analysis and management are usually the cause. This doesn’t mean analysis needs to be completed every time you are running a new project – You might know these clients and have done other projects with them so you can take some/all of that original analysis and use it.
- 2. Constant access to SMEs, Developers, and Graphic Artists (and person who signs off – i.e., client)
- 3. Project can be rolled out in sections – for instance 1 module can be rolled out by itself without the other 10 modules
- 4. Already have learning objects from other projects (optional and very helpful – cuts time) – this is not required though but will save a significant amount of time
- 5. Very limited interactions, graphics, and instructional strategies